Open innovation in AI is essential
AI advancements are leading to new opportunities that can improve how we work, live, learn and interact with one another. Open and transparent innovation is essential to empower a broad spectrum of AI researchers, builders, and adopters with the information and tools needed to harness these advancements in ways that prioritize safety, diversity, economic opportunity and benefits to all.
Meeting the challenges of open innovation
While there are many individual companies, start-ups, researchers, governments, and others who are committed to open science and open technologies and want to participate in the new wave of AI innovation, more collaboration and information sharing will help the community innovate faster and more inclusively, and identify specific risks and mitigate those risks before putting a product into the world.
The AI Alliance is an international community of researchers, developers and organizational leaders committed to support and enhance open innovation across the AI technology landscape to accelerate progress, improve safety, security and trust in AI, and maximize benefits to people and society everywhere.
Members of the AI Alliance believe that open innovation is essential to develop and achieve safe and responsible AI that benefit society rather than benefit a select few big players.
The AI Alliance is designed to create opportunities everywhere through a diverse range of institutions that can shape the evolution of AI in ways that better reflect the needs and the complexity of our societies.
The AI Alliance is focused on fostering an open community and enabling developers and researchers to accelerate responsible innovation in AI while ensuring scientific rigor, trust, safety, security, diversity and economic competitiveness. By bringing together leading developers, scientists, academic institutions, companies, and other innovators, we will pool resources and knowledge to address safety concerns while providing a platform for sharing and developing solutions that fit the researchers, developers, and adopters around the world.
To ensure open innovation in AI benefits everyone and that it is built responsibly, the AI Alliance consists of a broad range of organizations that are working across aspects of AI education, research, development and deployment, and governance.
- The creators of the tooling driving AI benchmarking, trust and validation metrics and best practices, and application creation such as MLPerf, Hugging Face, LangChain, LlamaIndex, and open-source AI toolkits for explainability, privacy, adversarial robustness, and fairness evaluation.
- The universities and science agencies that educate and support generation after generation of AI scientists and engineers and push the frontiers of AI research through open science.
- The builders of the hardware and infrastructure that supports AI training and applications – from the needed GPUs to custom AI accelerators and cloud platforms.
- The champions of frameworks that drive platform software including PyTorch, Transformers, Diffusers, Kubernetes, Ray, Hugging Face Text generation inference and Parameter Efficient Fine Tuning.
- The creators of some of today’s most used open models including Llama2, Stable Diffusion, StarCoder, Bloom, and many others.
AI Alliance members plan to start or enhance projects that meet the following objectives:
- Deploy benchmarks, tools, and other resources that enable the responsible development and use of AI systems at global scale, including the creation of a catalog of vetted safety, security and trust tools. Support the advocacy and enablement of these tools with the developer community for model and application development.
- Responsibly advance the ecosystem of open foundation models with diverse modalities, including highly capable multilingual, multi-modal, and science models that can help address society-wide challenges in climate, human health, and beyond.
- Foster a vibrant AI hardware accelerator ecosystem by boosting contributions and adoption of essential enabling software technology.
- Support global AI skills building, education, and exploratory research. Engage the academic community to support researchers and students to learn and contribute to essential AI model and tool research projects.
- Develop educational content and resources to inform the public discourse and policymakers on benefits, risks, solutions and precision regulation for AI.
- Launch initiatives that encourage open development of AI in safe and beneficial ways, and host events to explore AI use cases and showcase how Alliance members are using open technology in AI responsibly and for good.
The AI Alliance will begin its work with the formation of member-driven working groups across all major topical areas listed above. The Alliance will also establish a governing board and technical oversight committee dedicated to advancing the above project areas, as well as establishing overall project standards and guidelines.
In addition to bringing together leading developers, scientists, academics, students, and business leaders in the field of artificial intelligence, the AI Alliance will plan to partner with important existing initiatives from governments, non-profit and civil society organizations who are doing valuable and aligned work in the AI space.
To date, some of the most exciting progress in AI has been driven by collaborative and open research and development: from data and developer frameworks, to models and model cards, to conferences and papers with code. And, this approach benefits everyone – industry, academia, and society.
- Democratizes access to the most foundational and broadly applicable advances;
- Harnesses the innovative talent of the global community;
- Ensures accountability among individuals and companies;
- Instills trust from transparency by demystifying technical innovation for both the public and policymakers; and
- Better enables robust testing and validation through broad-based community approaches.
Overall, open innovation in AI greatly assists in commercialization, adoption, and value generation for both technology providers and consumers.
The Alliance will continue to welcome new members who share our commitment to values and principles that will advance safe and responsible AI rooted in open innovation. Members of the AI Alliance are committed to:
- Bringing together a critical mass of compute, data, tools, and talent to accelerate open innovation in AI to build and support open technologies across software, models and tools;
- Enable students, developers and scientists to understand, experiment, and adopt open technologies; and
- Advocate for the value of open innovation with organizational and societal leaders, policy and regulatory bodies, and the public.
Our program is purposefully designed to enable flexible levels of collaboration and contribution to maximize the participation and impact of organizations and individuals globally.
Members of the AI Alliance must meet these 4 criteria categories:
- Alignment with the AI Alliance’s values and its mission to cultivate safe and open science and innovation
- Commitment to undertake significant projects aligned with the mission of the AI Alliance
- Contribution to the diversity of perspectives within the AI Alliance
- Activity and reputation within the wider communities of AI builders, advocates, and educators